A post on posters (get it?)

Improv ended for the year last Monday, which may be as good an excuse as any to show off some of the posters I made for our weekly games, specifically the geeky ones. If you're not familiar with improv games or the French language, don't worry about it. I hope you like the images anyway, and I can always steer you towards some action figure mayhem instead.

Sometimes, the geek influence is thin, but there nonetheless. For example, for our 20th anniversary celebration, there's some futurism in the bottom and a toy ad from the back of an old comic on top.
Sometimes, it's more overt. With comics being a particularly strong influence on my work (duh!). For my target audience, big name Belgian comics were indicated.
Though I'm not above going for the more obscure. Not that I consider John Romita's great romance covers obscure, mind you, but I'm talking about John Q. Public, who thinks he's a geek cuz he plays sports games on his PS2.
And when we decided we'd do a 50s style improvised play about a nuclear family, well, I just had to trot out these lame villains from The Outsiders.

Parodies of magazine ads weren't always successful. Seems this Absolut pastiche went over most students' heads. I guess I should've gone with a Colt .45 or Crown Royal ad. KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE!
This was more successful, though not everyone got that the Green team was represented by a Fruitopia bottle. KNOW YOUR FONTS, PEOPLE!

If you're a fan of this blog, then you remember the image I used for the final. The text reads: "Yes, it's a non sequitur, but we thought you'd get a kick out of seeing Sailor Moon in live action."

Allow me to close with a couple of movie-inspired posters. Now, I'm no Star Wars fan, quite the opposite, but I do understand that it is popular in a way that Sailor Moon is not. Still, the SM poster drew a lot more people to the game. (That it was a final may have had something to do with it, but I refuse to acknowledge reality in this matter.)
My favorite of the year, however, was this hommage to tomb of the mummy movies.

So thanks to all the league members who contributed to a great year and special acknowledgment to my models for these posters, Sly, Carolynn, Annik, Francis, Fabulo, and the rest.

Comments

Siskoid said…
Coming from you, that is a compliment, sir.

Mercy buckets.