This Week in Geek (04-11/03/07)

Spring break so I had a couple days off and well, I geeked out. You only live once.

Buys

Yes! Two more Doctor Who DVDs in my mailbox this week! The Sontaran Experiment isn't as much of a "cheapie" as they said it was, with plenty of features, thank you very much, but I'm most excited about seeing The Invasion with its two "restored" episodes that use the soundtrack and animation!

"Accomplishments"

Plenty of Doctor Who-related stuff, and I'm not really counting getting a Warcrap character called Sarajane to level 53. Firstly, I made 28 cards for my Unauthorized Doctor Who CCG, and if I had to name a favorite, I'd go with 3D Glasses.
I mean, really, how could I resist making a card for those?

I started listening to Big Finish productions while playing World of Warcraft, which is the real secret to efficient geekery: multi-tasking. I got through 4 two-hour Doctor Who audios: Primeval, a 5th Doctor story taking place on ancient Traken, which I think will be better on a second go one day; and then a run of superlative 8th Doctor audios, including Invaders from Mars (an atmospheric story taking place concurrent with Orson Welles' broadcast of the War of the Worlds), The Chimes of Midnight (a really cool, funny and atmospheric temporal paradox ghost story that keeps you guessing) and Seasons of Fear (another temporal paradox story that's a bit more confusing, but that lays the seeds for future audios). All in all, good stuff.

I've been nursing a few DVD boxed sets, and I managed to complete their viewing this week. This includes Doctor Who Series 2, starring David Tennant as The Doctor. I'd seen them all of course, but I like the episodes more and more. Each one has a commentary (often gushing, but they mix up who does them a lot, so that's nice), but I'm really missing the online Tardisodes that served as prologues to each one. That and Attack of the Graske should really have been on there. Tennant's video diaries are fun though.

After I finished that one, I finished the Animated Batman Season 4 and then went ahead and devoured Teen Titans Season 1, with its delightful anime style. I'd only ever seen the first episode, but I want more. NOW!

And then there's the comics. I read that new Brave and the Bold #1, which was as fun as reported, as well as Nextwave Agents of HATE vol.1 collecting the first 6 issues of the series. Again, as fun as I'd heard. If you can't laugh at Fing Fang Foom's underpants, I ask you, what can you laught at?












My DCHeroes group also met last friday for Part 2 of 7 of Neutron Dance, a story arc that would have been published in late '89, early '90. Again, it deals with a microverse inside one character's DNA helix. This issue of the Crusaders also featured a new 90s costume for Jester, which I'll spoil here as soon as Bass has finished drawing it. Can't wait to see how bad he's Liefelded himself. Also, as a few of the characters are hitting their 25th appearance, I'm giving out "shticks". It can be a catchphrase like "It's clobberin' time!" or it can be a signature move like the fastball special, even a cliché like Barry Allen never getting to a date on time, and of course, there's an in-game bonus. Swarm just got a special Disgust social maneuver. He a big gross bug, yay!





Website finds

I was discussing how science fictionny the present was becoming with Pout this morning, and he started handing out the BBC articles. I'll pass 'em on, thanks Poutster!
World's first cyberdeck (but don't hold your breath, I say)
Robot rights (install those Asimov circuits before they rebel, quick!)
Or if you're not gonna give 'em rights, at least make sure they're comfortable (hey Korea, what about your HUMAN population?!?)

Man, I already feel like a second-class citizen. I'm so fleshy.

Comments

Anonymous said…
3D glasses Rules!

Maudit que j'ai hate de voir la nouvelle saison.

Comme ça toi aussi t'es sur Worst of Warcrap....man faut vraiment que j'upgrade mon ordi.