This Week in Geek (20-26/08/07)

Buys

Invincible's 3rd Ultimate Collection hardcover came in the mail this Friday and having jumped into it today, the story's just as good as I remember. I think I have to figure out on which trade paperback I should be after that because I don't think I can wait for another hardcover omnibus to follow the story.

I also got a package from eBay containing all 7 seasons of Voyager (strictly to supplement my blog, you understand). I got it on the cheap and I can now see why: It's some kind of Asian rip-off, with especially funny copy on it, such as:
The eBay notice didn't show a picture, and I guess that's what I get for not really checking into it more closely. Actually, I'm happy with it. The DVDs work and don't have unsightly subtitles, and come in a space-saving box instead of 7 mammoths with an odd shape like most other Star Trek products.

And another recent arrival is Death Race 2000, but I'll reserve comments for an upcoming DVD Tales, but basically, it's a B-movie starring David Carradine and Sly Stallone facing off in a car race whose object is to score points by hitting people with your car. Roger Corman produces. Are you stoked yet?

"Accomplishments"

Early in the week, I finished Words That Work by Republican message crafter Frank Luntz, which I'd bought for work despite my much more liberal leanings ;-). It's an interesting inside look at both corporate and political language that subtly but surely affects how a message is received and understood. I've always subscribed to the idea that words and images matter and that it's not "all the same", and Dr. Luntz had plenty of good and practical examples. I recommend it for anyone working in communications today. It's effective if a bit repetitive (or because it is?). One of my co-workers also thinks Luntz is an irritating name dropper. So there.



Then, fiction. I devoured Fables volumes 6 through 9. Man, it's a good series. Now that I've run out of trade paperbacks, it's back to the waiting game on this one. Sadly. Brief thoughts on the 4 volumes I ran through:
-Homelands: Who knew Boy Blue had it in him? Engrossing in the extreme and what kept me going all week.
-Arabian Nights (and Days): I was wondering when we'd see non-European Fables, and why we hadn't to date. Also fun to see the new administration of Fabletown start to gel.
-Wolves: A good finish if Willingham had wanted to call it quits there. Issue #50 actually moved me. I'm such a girl.
-Sons of Empire: Thankfully, he didn't call it quits. I love the smaller stories in this one, there's a great take on Santa Claus, and how 'bout that Mike Allred art?
Man, I'm already starting to feel the withdrawal setting in.

Cards! After finishing the Ancient Foes set (finally!) last week, it's time for a leisurely "premium" set for my Doctor Who CCG: 10 cards, one for each Series 3 story. There's Martha and Tallulah and Lazarus and Giant Macra, oh my!
7 new cards (plus pack art), with three more to come before I embark on Time Meddlers, a full 180-card set.

See you in the funny papers!

Comments

De said…
Which eBay seller did you use for your Voyager set? I'm itching for some bad Trek but certainly don't want to shell out premium prices for the privilege.
Siskoid said…
The handle is w6815.