This Week in Geek (15-21/10/07)

Buys

Bit of UK fever on DVDs this week: I got Michael Palin's Pole to Pole as I've always enjoyed his travelogues in the past; Jekyll, a tv series I've heard good things about; and 28 Weeks Later, which I'd missed in theaters, but hear is a surprisingly good sequel to the surprisingly good original.

"Accomplishments"

I kinda missed Oktoberfest on World of Warcraft, but I seem to be back in time for Halloween.
I don't know if I'll go defeat the Headless Horseman or not (doubtful), but I'm enjoying the Trick or Treat and bobbing for apples features. Pure fluff, but I'm trying to get all the possible masks. Candy's good too. Lyndawithay went up a level this week, from 64 to 65. Getting there.

Cards for the WhoCCG: 16 more, all from Evil of the Daleks, which given its surviving state of one episode out of seven, and the rest in tele-snaps or production stills isn't that obvious. Sometimes you have to laugh at the production values though:
Over in the DVD section, I flipped Godzilla Raids Again, a poor sequel to the original Gojira story-wise, though the frenetic monster battle and model work is excellent. There's a lot of tension and no story. Flipping the disc meant also watching the stupidly edited US version in which Godzilla is called Gigantus, the dubbing creates totally absurd dialogue, and the insertion of stock footage makes it look like the Ed Wood edit. It's unintentionally hilarious, and the commentary track makes sure to laugh at it a lot.




I mentioned a couple weeks back that my friend Elyse gave me Daniel H. Wilson's Where's My Jetpack? and I finished it on Friday. It's a quick read, both amusing and informative, about the technology promised by 40s and 50s sci-fi that isn't around yet. Or if it is around, how advanced is it, where is it going, and why am I not using it? Good fun, and nicely illustrated by Richard Horne.






And today, we played a session of Planescape, basically adapted from The Eternal Boundary, the first scenario I ever bought. It went well, though the end was a little rushed, and opened the City of Doors up to even more subplots for the characters. A better mix of action, investigation and role-playing than the previous session, and it was good to see our third player make a comeback as the deadpan fighting monk, Wong Bo. Best NPC: An ogrish information broker. Best bit: A giant cock fight (welcome Googlers!).

Comments