Ring Tones

So I was reading Green Lantern Corps #20 and for a second there, I thought Guy Gardner was having a conversation with his ring:Turns out he and Kyle were just using their rings as cellphones, but you know, I really kinda like the idea I thought they first were trying to get across (we'll discuss my syntax later, k?).

After all, we know the rings have a "voice". Here's an example from that same issue (Sinestro rings work the same):
Usually, the rings sound like computers, basically churning out data as required or just reminding the user of its current power level. But like each GL uniform is slightly different to reflect the personality of its wearer, why couldn't each ring have its own personality. Perhaps a mirror of the user's own. Someone to talk to. Someone who never judges you.

It almost makes more sense for Guy's best friend to be the ring rather than Kyle, doesn't it?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Are you taking the cue from intelligent swords in AD&D? I agree that the idea is a Pandora's Box of its own. Just as you may have personality symbiosis (wearer and ring) in some instances, maybe there are conflicts in other pairups...
Siskoid said…
The thought crossed my mind about sentient swords (I've just come off a month of laughing at the Outsiders, which does feature a sentient katana).

I've been meaning to look at old Green Lantern Corps Quarterly comics to see if such a story has ever been done, because I have a distinct feeling it has.
Anonymous said…
GLC has been growing on me.

I like the idea of looking at the broader corp and a more universal aspect than just focusing on a single Lantern or two on earth.

It's not quite as high on the enjoyment scale as B&B or BG, but it's doing fine. There's still something missing that they have and it doesn't.

It might be a sense of wonder or scope that they seem to capture that sets them a bit higher than other DC comics right now.

But I babble.
Siskoid said…
But I babble.

And that makes your response different from my post how exactly?

But yeah, I agree. Not quite B&B or BG, but getting there. I'm preferring Green Lantern, probably because of Geoff Johns right now, but yeah, it feels very "DCU".
Anonymous said…
The Precious, we wants it... silly green man stoles it from us!