This Week in Geek (29/09-5/10/08)

Buys

Iron Man came out this week, so what do you think? Jon Favreau's really entertaining on other commentary tracks, so I'm sad not to see one included. Ah well. I also got me something missing from my collection: John Carpenter's The Thing. I mean, what was I waiting for? For Kurt Russell to come to my house and kick my ass personally?

"Accomplishments"

Books: Finished Teenagers from the Future, Sequart's collection of some 18 essays (20 if you count preface and epilogue) on the Legion of Super-Heroes. These range from studies of specific elements (fashion, utopian architecture, homosexuality) to literary criticism of the books' various eras, sometimes exposing some very interesting, and even surprising themes. One thing that does come through in the book taken as a whole is how the Legion was so often in the avant-garde of superhero comics, doing first what we would take for granted later. A very interesting read which, while it could have withstood a little more proofreading in some essays, is nonetheless very well organized by editor Tim Callahan, disparate articles somehow fitting the Legion's actual publication history.

New Unauthorized Doctor Who CCG cards: 13, finished The Invasion of Time and even slid in a couple from Genesis of the Daleks.

Someone Else's Post of the Week
Madeley's Fractal Hall Journal has really stepped it up lately, and among a number of excellent recent articles, I'd like to recommend "Keys", which talks about those moments of epiphany when you suddenly "get it". Krypto, Shakespeare, whathaveyou.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I never got Shakespere.

As for the Iron Man DVD, before anybody lobs my head off for getting the Wal-Mart 2-pack instead of the Ultimate Edition with digial comic, please remember the following

-I'm low on funds
-Someday, when I'm not low on funds I want to get a Blu-Ray player, and the Blu-Ray edition has all the 8000 hours of bonus footage
-the 2-pack's other disk also has the digital comic, plus a sampler of the soundtrack, some promo thing for Marvel Kids.com and Wal-Mart's selling of Marvel toys, some forgetable thingy and the other reason I picked this one up: a full episode of the new Armored Adventures cartoon well before it's Spring release on Nicktoons Network

If your a purist, your going to hate this show, but if your looking for a fun take on the series, with some decent writing, I see potential. Whether or not the full series lives up to that potential is another story. Spaz Pepper may end up being the first target, as well as "just to be there" Happy. I like Tony and Rhodey, though. And the villains seems to be something to watch. So, I'm a bit more hopeful than I was. Hopefully this goes as well as X-Men:Evolution. Hopefully.
Siskoid said…
Shakespeare invented the modern character, so you're getting him through more indirect sources.

I'm in no way a purist when it comes to comic book properties being taken into another medium. We don't get NickToons here, so if it's on some Canadian equivalent, I'll check it out.
snell said…
Off topic a bit here, siskoid, but this is so up your fun zone I have to pass it on...
Siskoid said…
That IS up my alley.

Veryyyy interesting.

I wish I could see their Hamlet.
rob! said…
god, do i love Carpenter's "Thing." scary when i first saw it in 1982, scary now/
Madeley said…
Thanks for the shout out! Sorry for the delay in commenting, but I've been away from the internet for a few days.