Year 7

Can you believe I've been doing this for 7 (lucky) years? At ±2 posts a day, that's meant 5299 articles over 2457 days (or an average 2.15 posts a day), not counting my work on other blogs (see top of side-bar). So thank you, thank you, thank you, everyone and anyone who's stopped by over the years, especially if you left a comment - you don't know how satisfying it is to get feedback unless you're a blogger yourself. As you know, I'm dedicated to sharing my love of geeky things, so you can expect more from where that came from in 2014.

A Year of Collaborations
2013 is very much the year when Siskoid's Blog of Geekery opened doors to collaborations. My Doctor Who RPG articles have been retuned and reprinted in the Diary of the Doctor Who Role-Playing Games fanzine and will continue to be. Through the DWAITAS forums, I've also started work on a series of Doctor Who RPG supplements based on Who's expanded universe, the first of which is out, the next to be finalized during the holidays. My reviews have gotten me a gig writing audio and book reviews for the long-running Enlightenment fanzine, and that's led to my writing a piece for Outside-In 2, a book of Doctor Who criticism slated to come out in the Spring. And then there's this podcasting business I've gotten myself into. I've had the honor of being included in the Fire and Water family of podcasts by collaborating with the Irredeemable Shag on the Hero Points 'cast (focused on the DC universe role-playing games; next episode after the holidays), and more recently, again through Shag, been invited to talk about the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary special on The Unique Geek vidcast. Thanks for all the opportunities, guys.

Other Year 7 Highlights
-Obviously, Doctor Who reviews have taken up a lot of my time this year, and I got through Docs 4 to part of 10, plus the attendant "Seasons of Doctor Who as a role-playing campaign" readers seem to like so much. A great way to spend Doctor Who's 50th year, but I've still got five or six months to go! For extra Anniversary fun, I've used amusing production photos from the show to create a Whoniverse-B.
-A feature I'd just started in December of last year and which has developed nicely is Who's This?, in which I take the more obscure characters in DC's Who's Who and explore them through one of their original appearances. I'm more or less following the Who's Who Podcast, though I did manage to get ahead of Rob and Shag there for a few weeks. We're up to the Ms, and I plan to keep this going. The way my mind works, I'd love to eventually have one of these done for EVERY entry in the Directory, even popular characters like Batman and Superman, but that's a really long-term goal. And an insane one.
-One feature I liked doing is a weekly look at superhero archetypes. I'm not sure it's completely spent though I haven't touched it in a while. Maybe 2014 could be the year of the villain? (Now I sound like DC Comics.)
-I also tried shedding some light on indie comics I like, which often need a little bit of a boost compared to the Big Two's output. I hope my recommendations have been useful and still aim to devote a week to such things every six months or so.
-I also devoted some space to Golden Age Canadian comics and developed a crush on Nelvana of the Northern Lights, a crush rewarded later in the year when I got to help fund a Kickstarter to reprint those books!
-And still on comics, I did a lot of looking back at how my reading habits developed, at first through a series of "Comic Book DNA" articles (Part I, Part II, Part III), which then led to Comics Recollected, a series of rough videos that take you and I back through memory lane to my early days of buying and readings comics.
-Plus, continued a weekly Reign of the Supermen; wrote capsule reviews of everything I saw, heard, read and played; threw some light-hearted venom at 80s Outsiders comics; gave advice to those who would date Lois Lane... y'know, the usual.

So, what's next?
Well, the big question is what happens after I finish reviewing Doctor Who and Doctor Who's spin-offs. The plan for now is to dive into comics (but not Doctor Who comics), just as I'd done Reign of the Supermen in between my Star Trek and Doctor Who projects. After writing a defense of the Legion of Super-Heroes, I was pretty sure I'd found a way to cover every Legion story ever over a year, so that's the tentative plan. If I stayed on TV stuff, the only universe big enough to maybe compete with the Trek and Who 'verses is the WB Animated DCU, and I feel like that's been well covered by other blogs. Or the Buffyverse, but it seems like I just watched all of that last year. My other option is to run briefer genre shows for however long they'd last, with longer ones like Babylon 5 and Space 1999 getting some word count alongside shorter programs like Space Above and Beyond or The Invaders. But I really need a break from having to watch a certain program every day, y'know?

Whatever happens, I hope you'll stick around. I'll try to have something interesting for everyone whatever their interests are.

Comments

Martin Léger said…
Congrats Mike. I'd totally read more Legion stuff.
snell said…
*Ahem* Blake's 7 *cough cough*

Congrtulations!!
Siskoid said…
Why Marty, I didn't know you cared. (Was it the comics or the cartoon show for you?)

Snell: That still isn't out in Region 1 DVD is it? (And I hope you liked the featured image, I thought of you while making it.)
Doctor Mii said…
A really big gratz to you buddy! Good luck on your podcasting début.
Siskoid said…
Thanks Mike (THIS GUY WAS THERE FROM THE BEGINNING, long before blogging existed, I suppose we just called it talking).

The thing about podcasting is that I have to do it in my second language, which is why I started doing Comics Recollected videos, just to get practice. It's amazing how little I have to actually speak English in a day.
Martin Léger said…
My Legion experience is pretty scattered. My older cousin had some issues, I imagine they we're from the 80's maybe? I picked up a few during the early 2000 run. I did watch a few episodes of Legion but never got around watching them all.
Unknown said…
Félicitation Mike, quel travail incroyable! Je souhaite que tu puisses en vivre un jour. CHEERS et à un autre 7 ans!
Siskoid said…
I wonder if I'd hate it if it actually were my job.
Jeff R/ said…
Stargate is also certainly big enough (All together, it did 'six seasons an a movie' three time with a couple movies to spare.)
d said…
Congrats Siskoid! Still my 1st blog stop in the morning.
Siskoid said…
Oh yeah. That. Never even watched a frame of it.
Tim Knight said…
Congratulations! An impressive anniversary, especially considering your regular output of quality material.

Your blog continues to inspire me to be more organised and write better quality posts!

Thank you for all the hard work (and the support you have given to me over the years).

Looking forward to the next seven years... and beyond!
Jeff R. said…
Hm. It would be interesting to see you do a series completely blind, but that would be a big commitment to something you may end up not liking at all...


Every Legion story in one year? That's ambitious... (And if you want a break from Outsiders, you could let the Wanderers sub in for a round of being mercilessly derided during the process..)
Unknown said…
Congrats. Hard to believe it's 7 years. Have been following you since the Star-Trek-A-Day reviews. I also vote for LSH, they are a long time favourite of mine. Next time I visit my brother in Fredericton I'll have to manufacture an excuse to visit Moncton and buy you a drink.
abc said…
So...start from scratch with Stargate? I'd read those reviews. B5 reviews too.
But, yeah...take some time for yourself first :)
Will Year 8 be Year of The Red Bee?

Seriously, and not to slight many other blogs, I enjoy Mike Sterling's take on things as much as I do yours.

--Wayne
You know, I really meant to put your name before Mr. Sterling's.
Siskoid said…
Jeff: Yes, I'd be interested to find out myself. What's lacking, perhaps, is pre-existing passion for the material, which I had in abundance for both Trek and Who.

Unknown: The divided highway makes Monktown closer than ever to Freddy!

Wayne: Yes, that's better syntax, but high praise indeed! And YES, Year 8 WILL be the Year of the Red Bee. I GUARANTEE IT.
SallyP said…
Happy Happy Anniversary!
jdh417 said…
You are my hero. . . although also something of a warning and a cautionary tale of the perils of blogging.

Congratulations.
Siskoid said…
I have lately felt haunted by Ionesco's quote about writing: "For a writer, life consists of either writing or thinking about writing."
Madeley said…
Felicitations! Gardez-les venir!
Siskoid said…
Mae ychydig o Babel Fish, ond mae'r teimlad yn cael ei werthfawrogi.
Madeley said…
Ha, brilliant! Diolch yn fawr!